No. 949 Diocese of Marbel, Philippines 16 August 2017
- OFFERING OF LIFE FOR GOD AND NEIGHBORS
Pope Francis added another way to beatification and canonization: the offering of one’s life for God and neighbors.
This is the subject of his July 11, 2017 “Apostolic Letter issued Motu Proprio entitled ‘Maiorem HAC Dilectionem” taken from John 15: 13.
Pope Francis states “Worthy of special consideration and honour are those Christians who, following more than closely the footsteps and teachings of the Lord Jesus, have voluntarily and freely offered their life for others and persevered with this determination unto death.”
Art. 1.“The offer of life is a new cause for the beatification and canonization procedure, distinct from the causes based on martyrdom and on the heroism of virtues.
Art. 2. “The offer of life…must respond to the following criteria:
- a free and voluntary offer of life and heroic acceptance propter caritatem (because of love) of a certain and untimely death;
- a nexus between the offer of life and premature death;
- the exercise, at least as ordinarily possible, of Christian virtues before the offer of life and, then, unto death;
- the existence of a reputation of holiness and of signs, at least after death;
- the necessity of a miracle for beatification occurring after the death of the Servant of God and through his or her intercession.
(CBCP Monitor, August 7-20, 2017, Vol. 21, No. 16, B1)