No. 928 Diocese of Marbel, Philippines 12 May 2017
- DIOCESAN CLERGY’S RECOLLECTION
Date and venue: 09 May 2017, Kiamba Parish, Sarangani.
Attendance: 49: 46 priests, 2 deacons, 1 bishop
Mass presider: Fr. Rafael Cabrido, VF MAKIMAMI, Parish Priest, Holy Cross Parish, Maasim.
Homilist: Deacon Sulpicio Francisco, Jr. (From Fr. Dennis Gamo)
“Mary Strengthens Communion of Priests”
- In communion there is union-fellowship.
- Mary strengthens fellowship among priests through her words and deeds – as model.
- “Fiat mihi secundum verbum tuum” (Lucam 1: 38) Obedient Faith
- “Magnificat anima mea Dominum” (Lucam 1: 46) Humble Faith
- “Quodcumque dixerit vobis, facite” (Joannem 2: 5) Trusting Faith
- Lived Faith
- Care for baby Jesus: in the womb; at birth; at Nazareth, in Jerusalem; at Calvary.
- Concern for needy – Cana at Galilee – obedient faith.
- Her role as disciple
St. Augustine: “Indeed the Blessed Virgin Mary certainly did the Father’s will, and so it was for her a greater thing to have been Christ’s disciple than to have been his mother; and she was more blessed in her discipleship than in her motherhood. Here was the happiness of first bearing in her womb whom she would keep as her master” (“Sermon 72 A.7”. www.firstthings.com/article/2009/11).
- Union in Vision, Mission, Thrust, Diocese of Marbel
- Vision: Community of Christ’s disciples; Church of the Poor.
A disciple is one called by Christ. Responds positively and immediately. Learns from Christ. Shares his/her learnings with others.
Poor. A) Originally, materially poor. No influence. Powerless – exploited. Only recourse is God upon whom he/she relies. B) Poor in Spirit – detached from worldly possessions-even if rich. C) simplicity of lifestyle. D) option for the poor – especially the Bla’ans in Bong Mal Territory.
- Integral evangelization. All of man and all men (Evangelii Nuntiandi). A message of salvation from sin and liberation from everything oppressive to human beings.
- Establish/strengthen SAC in every GKK.
- SMI’S TAMPAKAN COPPER AND GOLD PROJECTSMI’s
- Open pit. Approximately 500 hectares (3 kms. Long X 2.5 kms. Wide; 800 meters deep- equivalent to a building with 200 floors/storeys). Located, partly in Tampakan and partly in Kiblawan.
- Waste Rock Storage Facility. App. 500 has., 300 Mts. Height (about 75 floors/storeys). Located in Tablu, Tampakan/some part in Kiblawan.
- Tailings Storage Facility. App. 1,000 hectares (2.1 kms. Long, 250 – 280 m. high, equivalent to a building with 62-70 floors/storeys). Located at 10 km. East of open-pit, within the valley of Mal River, Malungon.
- Fresh Water Dam. App. 500 has. (surface). 150 meters high – 37.5 floors/storeys. Located in Malungon, 3 kms. Southeast of TSF. Storage capacity is 215, 000ML. (Researched by Deacon Salvador Leyso)
2) Probable effects
- Destruction of almost 4,000 hectares of forested and agricultural lands and biodiversity (flora and fauna) (against Gen. 2: 15).
- Dislocation of approximately 5,000 surface dwellers, mostly Bla’ans (against human rights)
- Threat to food security and human life through the use of cyanide and heavy metals for processing ores (against respect for life).
- Past killings and future violence as the Bla’ans are determined to defend their ancestral land – source of food, medicines, building materials, burial grounds of their ancestors (against peace and order).
- Pollution – air, water and soil (against healthy environment as provided for in Art. III, Sec. 16, 1987 Philippine Constitution: “The State shall protect and advance the right of the people to a balanced and healthful ecology in accord with the rhythm and harmony of nature.”)
3) What to do?
- Massive education – information and formation of conscience;
- Solid organizing – especially of the Bla’ans in Bong Mal Territory. Support efforts of our Diocesan Social Actions programs.
- Communal, continuous, non-violent actions; advocacy, use of mass and e media.
- NEW DENR SECRETARY
President Rodrigo Roa Duterte appointed Roy Cimatu as DENR Secretary last May 7, 2017.
Roy Cimatu belongs to the PMA Class 70. He is from Bangui, Ilocos Norte. A pilot and studied at the USA Command and Staff College, Forth Leavenworth, Kansas.
Brigade Commander, 1002,. 1995-1998. Chief, AFP from May 18, 2002 to Sept. 10, 2002. Special envoy to the Middle East.
His “pabaon” from the AFP upon his retirement were 40 medals and citations. No money!
He is willing to learn. To consult – especially Ms. Gina Lopez – his predecessor at the DENR.
Let us pray for him.
- 10TH SUMMER CATECHETICAL INSTITUTE FOR PRIESTS
Date and venue: April 25-27, 2017, Capuchin Retreat House, Lipa City, Batangas.
- Deeper appreciation of diverse parish and BEC life.
- A glimpse of models of Catechesis in the parish.
- Basic orientation on the use of YOUCAT and DOCAT.
- Skills in communicating Church’steachings
- Update on ECCCE programs and activities.
Fr. Ricardo Pajarillo, Jr., Marbel.
Back to: 2017 Communications from the Bishop