No. 865 Diocese of Marbel, Philippines 04 March 2016
- Dates and venue: February 15-19, 2016, Bacolod Business Inn, Bacolod City.
- Delegates, 252: Bishops, Priests, Couple Coordinators, Diocesan Lay Leaders of Family and Life Ministry. Marbel represented by Mrs. Loreto T. Morta, President/Chair, Executive Committee, F & LM. From Sts. Peter and Paul Parish, Lagao, GSC.
February 15: Opening Mass. Bishop Vicente Navarra.
St. Sebastian Cathedral
(1) Aims of Echo – Conference: (a) study and discussions of the synodal recommendations (Synod of Bishops, XIV Ordinary Gen. Assembly, 4-25 October 2015, Rome); (b) help and guidance for the Church in the Philippines in her ministry in favor of our families.
(2) Faith – invocation. Wisdom and guidance of the Holy Spirit. Heartbeat of the Holy Family of Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Zeal and courage of St. Sebastian, Martyr and patron of Bacolod Diocese.
(3) Faith demands. Humility and sobriety of spirit. Zeal and courage. Fraternal charity and humble deference.
(4) Continue to be united in prayer as the Holy Family is united.
Hosted by Fr. Enrico Emmanuel Ayo, Dean, San Carlos Seminary Graduate School of Theology.
(1) Synodal processes: (a) listening; (b) understanding each other’s situation and opinions; (c) come up with proposals.
(2) Attitudes of a pastoral leader must possess according to Pope Francis: (a) apostolic courage; (b) evangelical humility; (c) trusting prayer.
Note: Synod – “sin hodus” – to be in one road together with Jesus.
Keynote Speech – Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle.
Synod of Bishops, instituted by Blessed Pope Paul VI.
Purpose: discuss pressing pastoral concerns.
Process: massive consultation about the challenges the families are facing in the context of Evangelization.
Theme: “The Vocation and Mission of the Family in the Church and in the Contemporary World.”
(1) The Church listening to the family – Factors re-shaping the family: (a) anthropology – re-shaping the human qualities – mentality and culture; (b) economic factors – poverty, lack of access to food and shelter. Supported by unjust social, political, cultural systems; (c) family and the contemporary society – migration, separation, single parenting, refugees; (d) adolescents – don’t reach maturity.
Other points: listening to the situation and the Word of God; Trinity – icon of the family; Jesus, the Word of God – his teachings on family, he formed a family: “those who listen and do the will of God is my family.”
Also: the transmission of life and protecting the sanctity of life – fulfillment in sacrament of marriage. Family and Church are closely tied together. Church – big family of small families.
Mission: (a) formation of the family; (b) transmission of life; (c) helping families in difficult situation; (d) active agents of evangelization.
Archbishop Romulo G. Valles, Archbishop of Davao
“The Church Listens to the Family”
Report of Synod to Pope Francis. Part I: The Church Listens to the Family. Part II: The Family in God’s Plan. Part III: Mission of the Family.
Archbishop Jose Serapio Palma, Cebu
Reasons why families flee: (a) poverty; (b) difficult to dialogue; (c) culture of cognation; (d) difficulty to raise children.
Grace is received in the sacrament of marriage. Real marriage is a covenant, only between man and woman. Understand homosexual feelings/orientation; but do not approve.
Bishop Gilbert Garcera, Daet and Chair, CBCP-ECFL
Mission: families, ambassadors of Christ, agents of pastoral activity; objects of pastoral care.
3As in Pastoral Accomplishment (in Italian)
- Acogliere con sorriso – Welcome with a smile.
- Ascoltare con il curore – Listen with the heart.
- Animare con fiducia – Animate with trust
Reporting of 3 workshop groups. Testimonies of Mr. Nelson and Mrs. Maria Socorro Villafania.
Fr. Jaroslaw merecki, SDS
Synod of Bishops. Family and Eucharist, family and Faith
Closing (By Mrs. Loreto T. Morta)
National Consultation on Pastoral Responses to the XIV Ordinary General Assembly of the synod of Bishop (Post-Synodal Conference on the Family), Bacolod Business Inn, Bacolod City, 15-19 February 2016.
Heavenly Father, in the spirit of the Year of the Eucharist and Family and the Extraordinary Jubilee of Mercy, we thank you for gathering us (252 men and women, couples and consecrated, priests and bishops), to discern the signs of the times and to listen to what the Spirit is saying to the Church in the Philippines with regard to our families, the first school of humanity and, for most of us, missionary disciples of the Eucharist.
Responding to the results of the Synods on the Family, we commit:
- to promote pastoral accompaniment, discernment and integration; and,
- to build pastoral networks that will equip all those you call to promote your will for marriage and family
so that we may bring the Gospel of the Family to all levels of society and of the Church, especially those in the existential peripheries.
Invoking the intercession of the Holy Family of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, and looking up to them as the model of every human family – vulnerable and wounded yet called to become healers, broken yet called to mercy and reconciliation – we make this prayer throughChrist our Lord. Amen.
Back to: 2016 COMMUNICATIONS from the Bishop