No. 839 Diocese of Marbel, Philippines 02 September 2015
- WORLD DAY OF PRAYER (WDP) FOR THE CARE OF CREATION
Pope Francis instituted on 6 August 2015 the “World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation” every 1st day of September, beginning 2015.
WDP was held in the Diocese of Marbel with a Prayer-Caravan-Rally on 1 September 2015.
Prayer for our Earth composed by Pope Francis was recited before the start of the caravan, before the rally program started and towards the end of the Mass.
Caravan started in General Santos City, 7:00 o’clock in the morning. Parishes from Sarangani Provinces and General Santos City composed the starting group.
Vehicles joined the caravan as it passed through Polomolok, Tupi, Tampakan, Koronadal City, Banga and Surallah.
By the time the caravan left for T’boli there were already 350 vehicles. Delegates from Lake Sebu, Norala, and Sto. Niño joined the caravan.
Peace and order was maintained all the way from General Santos City to T’boli by the LTO and PNP elements. Thank you.
A make shift stage was put up beside the parish Church in T’boli.
Fr. JomarieNeri, IFI, led the invocation.
Fr. Gillarme Joy Peliño, Social Action Diocesan Director gave the rationale for the mobilization. 1st, to celebrate WDP for the Care of Creation; 2nd, to stop aerial spray in Surallah and T’boli; 3rd, to manifest our solidarity with the victims of aerial spray; 4th, to call everyone to conversion and 5th, to express our fidelity as stewards of God’s creation.
Testimonies of victims of aerial spray followed.
- BebengBarsan mentioned the adverse effects of aerial spray on water she used for household chores; students near the banana plantation were diagnosed with asthma; and its negative impact on food and animals.
- Ester Dilam, SitioLacag, Laconon, T’boli said she suffered pain in her body because of the toxin used in aerial spraying. Her vegetables, chickens and pigs were casualties of aerial spray.
- A young man had been working with Sumitomo Fruit, Inc.’s banana plantation, mainly as a driver, for 9 years. He has bacteria meningitis. Goes around on a wheelchair.
Bases for opposing Aerial Spray.
- Reynaldo Mission explained the immorality of aerial spray – it kills. It pollutes air, water and soil. Respect life, human and non-human. Gen. 2:15, care for the garden; guard it against destruction.
- Macababad cited the Constitutional provision which states that the right to life, liberty and property shall be respected.
Synthesis by Bishop Dinualdo. God created the universe. It was good. Goods of the earth are for the benefit of all. As stewards of God’s creation humans must continuously develop the earth and zealously protect it from destruction. All creatures are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere; nothing goes nowhere. Our duty is to ensure that this generation as well as generations to come have a healthy and balanced ecology.
Forty-one (41) priests concelebrated. Fr. Romeo Subaldo, Vicar Forane, Allah Valley was the presider. Fr. Frank Romano, parish priest, Surallah and a victim of aerial spray delivered an inspiring homily.
Food was shared by the estimated 5,000 faithful.
Note: Prayer (cult), Caravan (code), Rally (creed). Doctrine/teachings, worship and action. This is integral faith.
Congratulations to everyone, especially the host parish (T’boli) and the co-hosts (Allah Valley parishes).