Pope Francis wrote on 24 May 2015 his first Encyclical Letter addressed to all men and women.
Title: “ ‘Laudato Si’ ’ on Care for Our Common Home” officially made public on 18 June 2015. Laudato Si’ (Italian), Praised be to you (English).
Table of Contents
Introduction. Statements of popes from St. John XXIII to Francis and Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew.
Chapter I. What is Happening to Our Common Home?
Chapter II. The Gospel of Creation
Chapter III. Human Roots of the Ecological Crisis
Chapter IV. Integral Ecology
Chapter V. Lines of Approach and Action
Chapter VI. Ecological Education and Spirituality
- A prayer for Our Earth
- A Christian Prayer in Union with Creation
Statements of popes, from St. John XXIII to Francis and Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew on ecology and peace.
- Situation today. Ecological crisis. Global warming due mainly to greenhouse gases; carbon dioxide, methane, nitrogen oxide, etc.
- God commanded man to care for the garden and guard it (cf. Gen. 2: 15). To develop the garden and prevent its destruction.
- Man disobeyed due mainly to greed, personal and corporate. Also to the incapacity of government authorities to implement environmental laws. Finally, ignorance and indifference of citizens.
- Integral ecology includes environmental sciences, economics (cost and benefit), culture (specially, indigenous), morality, etc.
- What to do? Foremost, dialogue among nations.
- Also mass education on ecology and spirituality. Individual conversion and structural transformations. From abuser of nature to lover of nature; from consumerism to simplicity of lifestyle; from “throw-away culture” to wise use of resources which are limited.
Without prayer to the Creator and Queen of creation our human efforts are bound to fail. The encyclical, therefore, ends with two prayers: (1) “A prayer for our Earth”; and (2) “A Christian Prayer in Union with Creation.”
This encyclical letter is authoritative. We have to obey.