“Birhen Maria, Modelo Sang Kaluoy Kag Kabalaka sa mga Kubos.” (Surallah)
“Mary, Mother of God, Mother of the Poor” (Polomolok)
In Polomolok parish, 29 priests concelebrated. Presider and homilist, at the chair (Latin, “sedes”), Bishop Dinualdo. Main celebrant, at the altar, Vicar General Romeo Buenaobra.
Salient points of Bishop’s homily:
- God created man, settled him in the Garden of Eden and ordered him to cultivate and guard it. (cf. Gen. 2: 7)
- In time God sent his own Son to redeem us. So we are no longer slaves but God’s children. (cf. Gal. 4: 4-7)
- As God’s children we are expected to help the hungry, thirsty, naked, homeless, sick and imprisoned in order to enjoy eternal happiness. (cf. Mt. 25: 31-45)
- Our Lady of Lourdes’ message: conversion, prayer and charitable acts.
- Pope Francis in his visit to the Philippines warned us of the threats to families by “ideological colonization” –same sex union, sexuality, emerging concept of marriage as a contract between two persons.
- Philippines was colonized by Spain and the United States of America using arms. Now, rich countries colonize poor countries using ideas (ideologies). A) Population control based on questionable basis that the earth’s resources cannot support the growing population; b) Market economy, whose model of development is largely economic, disregarding human lives and environment; c) secularism – this world, this life only, no life hereafter; d) materialism – only material things have values, immaterial/spiritual beings are irrelevant.
- Let us pray for ourselves that we may fulfill our role as stewards of creation, act as children of God obeying his command to care for the poor; for our President and government officials that they may fulfill their role as servants of the people, committed to the common good, protectors of human rights and the integrity of God’s creation; for richcountries to stop colonizing poor countries, dictating what poor countries should do or not do. Above all, let us act as Pope Francis exhorted to stop evil.
My observations of the Fiesta liturgy:
a) Overflow; b) intense participation of the assembly; c) harmonious, uplifting music; d) rites properly and solemnly executed.
Congratulations to everyone, especially Frs. Rey Mission, Joel Sunga and the PPC, PEC.