Pope Francis visited the Philippines, 15-19 January 2015. January 16 and 18, Manila. January 17, Tacloban. Tacloban visit was shortened because of very bad weather.
Estimated crowd in Manila: 6 – 7 million.
- “Reject every form of corruption which diverts resources from the poor and to make concerted efforts to ensure the inclusion of every man and woman and child in the life of the community.” (Malacañang, 16 January).
- “Only by becoming poor ourselves, by stripping away our complacency, will we be able to identify with the least of our brothers and sisters.” (Cathedral, January 16).
Note: embrace poverty and reject materialism.
- “Rest is also essential for our spiritual health, so that we can hear God’s voice and understand what he asks of us.” (Mall of Asia Arena, January 16)
- “To be wise, use 3 languages: think well, feel well and do well. And to be wise allow yourselves to be surprised by the love of God. That will guarantee a good life.” (UST, January 18)
- “We need to care for our young people, not allowing then to be robbed of hope and condemned to life on the streets.” (Luneta, January 18)
- “Families are threatened by ideological colonization: Same sex marriage, sexuality, marriage” (Cathedral and Mall of Asia Arena, 16 January)
In the past weaker countries were colonized by the use of arms. Philippines was colonized by Spain through the sword and guns. Second colonizer was the United States. For a while we were a colony of Japan. Then, a colony of the U.S.
Now, WB-IMF, USA and other rich countries IMPOSED their IDEAS on poor countries.
Economic – free trade, open business to foreign corporations, model of development: principally economic. Political – no candidate for president wins without the blessing of Uncle Sam. Cultural – religious: secularism, materialism. “Santa Claus is coming to town” – not Jesus? “Happy Holidays” – not Merry Christmas? The greatest ideology is population control: RH Law, same-sex union, lesbian, gay, changing the concept of marriage as a love union between a man and a woman to a union of two males or two females simply for sexual pleasures. Unless we do something effective, Christian families will disappear. These things are attacks on our Christian Faith!