Governor Daisy P. Avance Fuentes reported to the Bishop on September 15, 2009 the following:
1. Illegal “banlas” operations are on going;
2. They are within the SMI area of exploration and therefore it is their primary obligation to police the area from illegal activities;
3. Most of “banlas” financiers and “banlaseros” are relatives of either barangays and/or municipal officials.
4. SMI Management is afraid of incurring the wrath of “banlaseros”;
5. Political leaders are afraid to intervene for fear of losing political support;
6. The local PNP is uncooperative;
7. The Acting Municipal Mayor has been reported to secretly support certain “banlaseros”.
Governor Fuentes who has been working very hard to apprehend the financiers and “banlaseros” is hopeful she would have more success in the immediate future.
Governor Fuentes’ dedication to protecting the environment for the present and future generations is very commendable. Thank you, dear Governor.
Source: Communication from the Bishop (No. 551, November 06, 2009)