The 36th BUC GA took place on 4-6 February 2009 at Waterfront Insular Hotel, Lanang, Davao City.
Attendance: 67 members – 24 Ulama, 23 Catholic Bishops and bishops’ representatives, and 20 protestant bishops, ministers and pastors.
Purpose: present, discuss and approve the “KONSULT MINDANAW” – a plan for community consultation and dialogue for peace in Mindanao.
I. Objectives of Konsult Mindanaw
1. Expand the constituency of peace through broader consultation beyond the peace talks with revolutionary groups, to reach the grass root communities and the diverse sectors of Mindanao society.
2. Draw out the diverse perception of contemporary conflict situation, and derive a common vision of peace in Mindanao, and enkindle personal commitment to its realization.
3. Generate new ideas on how to proceed towards the continuation of the peace process.
4. Learn more lessons that can enrich continuing peace education.
II. Three pronged strategy
1. Consultation and dialogue. Questions:
a. What is your vision of peace?
b. What are your recommendations on the peace talks between the GRP and the MILF?
c. What can you recommend on the broader peace process?
d. What can you personally contribute – or even sacrifice – for the peace in Mindanao?
2. Communication Program. Production of information and education materials, and mobilizing people to participate.
a. Publish a primer (done)
b. Activate an interactive website. Domestic, national and global mechanism to enable all Filipinos, here and abroad, to participate in the peace process.
c. Media relations, pool of speakers, etc.
3. Research, analysis, monitoring, and publication.
At the end of the project (Konsult Mindanaw) the following shall have been accomplished:
1. Completed the agreed upon number of focused group discussions (8 FGDs per region – SOCSARGEN is one of 8 regions). The result shall be produced first as regional Reports, and then as Final Report.
2. Conducted regional validation and research dissemination sessions, that shall be open to the public..
3. Published a Primer on the Consultation as Peace Process, Manual for the conduct of the Project, and a book based on the final report.
4. Submitted a full Financial Report.
III. Scope, scale and speed – METHODOLOGY
Entire Mindanao, divided into 8 regional centers.
Scale. Multi-regional and multi-sectoral.
Speed. 10 months.
IV. Project Management
Duyog Mindanao is a project of the BUC. Project office – campus of St. Paul Church, Davao City. Arch Capalla, Bp. Gomez and Dr. Hamid Barra, BUC Convenors, direct overseers – assisted by the BUC Secretariat. Design and implementation of the project are concerns of the Project Director, assisted by a separate secretariat: Project Director leads the Project Management Team, whose members are in charge of particular divisions, namely: Regional Consultation, Communication, Data Management, and Research and Publication.
Secretariat has a full time Finance Officer, appointed by the BUC.
Eight regions, 8 research centers. Each center shall be in charge of promoting the project, training facilitators, etc. conducting actual consultations, collecting the data, and offering initial interpretation of the regional results. The relationship between the host Research centers and the BUC shall be covered by a Memorandum of Agreement.
Other professional and employment relations shall be covered by a contract or some appropriate legal documents.
Source: Communication from the Bishop (No. 519, February 07, 2009)